Friday, May 1, 2009

Let's Make Some Noise!

Last night, I went to see a performance of STOMP, and spent the evening completely mesmerized. For those who don't know, STOMP is a group that takes everyday objects and turns them into a percussion orchestra (check out their website for a promo video). This is a group that I've been wanting to see live for over ten years now, ever since I first saw Mr. Rogers visit them when I was watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood on PBS. I was not disappointed. I laughed, I cried (from laughing so hard), but mostly sat in the audience with an giant grin on my face that I was hardly aware of because I was having such a good time. Among the items used to create the rhythm "music" were brooms, trashcans, inner tubes, cigarette lighters, grocery bags, dustpans, folding chairs, and yes, even the proverbial kitchen sink. And it wasn't enough to just bang these objects around. In one number involving metal paint buckets, the cast tossed the buckets across the stage, creating a criss-cross of flying objects, all while keeping the beat. The cast didn't speak one word the entire show, yet still interacted with the audience, at one point getting the entire theatre to mimic their hand claps. I was amazed when the nearly two-hour show was over, as time simply flew by. If you ever have a chance to check it out, do so! (For you Southern Californians, a touring production makes a stop in Long Beach at the end of May!).

Back to studying.....

2 comments:

  1. I hope you take your parents to something on the West End, or they take you... And say hi to your mom for me. I wasn't reading any blogs for the whole last week and missed her departure, unfortunately. Tell her to toast me with a cuppa, maybe at Blenheim, and I'll return the favor. (Blog friends are weird, aren't they?!)

    Continue with all the great stuff - and thanks SO much for sharing!!!

    -Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mom and Dad are planning to see Phantom of the Opera while they're here, since they were unable to see the London production when they were here 20+ years ago due to sold out performances. I'll be sure to pass on your hello!

    ReplyDelete