Thursday, May 21, 2009

London Eye and Ireland

I am now safely home, albeit somewhat jet-lagged. I will tell you right now that the sun has never felt so good! I'm still running around like crazy, unpacking and getting my summer internship finalized, but I have a few minutes to catch you up on what I did the last few weeks in London.

On Sunday, May 3rd, I went with my friend Kevin to do the London Eye and the London Aquarium. The giant Ferris Wheel that is the London Eye is a bit over-priced and over-rated, as you pay a hefty fee for a ten-minute (though impressive) view of London. Still, it was on my list of attractions to visit, and I'm glad I did it. The London Aquarium was also quite nice, and I enjoyed it as well.



Then there was a few days of cramming, followed by my one and only final for the semester in my Medieval Europe class. Less than six hours after I walked out of my exam I was on a plane heading for Dublin, Ireland with my friends. Apart from nearly freezing to death in weather that was much colder than London, I had a wonderful few days there. We did a day tour into the countryside around the city, where we saw among other things the monastic settlement of Glendalough. The second day, we took a free three-hour tour of the city given by a group called New Europe. The tour guides work on a tips-only basis, as the company believes that anyone should be able to afford a tour in the major cities of Europe. It was amazingly good, and we were led all around the city and filled in on its history from the Vikings to the revolution that occurred in 1916. If you ever have a chance to do one of these tours, I highly recommend it.

Besides touring the city, we also managed to find a local pub that puts on free Irish song and dance every night, seven days a week. We enjoyed two hours of music and Irish stepdance. It was a wonderful experience. After two days, it was back to the airport for Caitlin so that she could be ready to pick up her parents on Saturday!

Albums are located below, as always.

London Eye and Aquarium

Ireland One
Ireland Two
Ireland Three

No comments:

Post a Comment