Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Sherlock Holmes Museum

Yesterday, I took off by myself after class to track down the Sherlock Holmes Museum, located at 221B Baker Street (if you aren't as big a Sherlockian as myself, that is the actual address of Sherlock Holmes in the stories). It was a pleasant, if a tad over-priced experience. Below you can see the outside of the museum. The property is split two ways: the actual museum is behind the door guarded by the constable (a museum employee) while the door underneath the sign is where one buys tickets and a finds a great assortment of Sherlock Holmes memorabilia.

The first floor of the house was the parlor and Dr. Watson's bedroom. Dr. Watson himself was there to greet me and point out some various aspects of the room (Mr. Holmes was out for the day). He was a very pleasant fellow, and as it was a slow day, we spent quite a few minutes chatting (he was very enthusiastic about the food to be found out in California).


The detailing in the rooms was quite amazing. This fireplace, for instance, was chock full of little bits and pieces mentioned in various stories: the persian slipper where Holmes kept his tobacco, the letters which he kept pinned down with a knife and many more items.


This picture on the mantle piece is of Irene Adler, the only woman Holmes ever respected (perhaps because she outsmarted him and got away in the story "A Bohemian Scandal")

And of course, the famous hats and items of our two favorite detectives.



The subsequent floors included Sherlock Holme's bedroom and a floor of wax figures from scenes in different Sherlock Holmes stories. I took too many photos to put up here, so a link will be provided at the end of this post to my Facebook album.

I did stumble across this amazing statue. I think the inscription says it all.




More pictures of the museum can be found here.

More exciting news to follow soon, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. What a neat adventure. Some of those wax figures were a little on the creepy side. Guess I'm too used to Disneyland :)

    Your last statement has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was first on the wax figures floor, I was all by myself, which was definitely unnerving.

    Posting an explanation of my last statement in a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete