Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Night Jot

Hello all!

Another quick entry before I get some rest. First of all, "Irish" style meal equaled lamb stew and a potato dish of some kind. Quite good actually. Sadly, the free food is at an end, so now I need to learn to cook for myself. It's been a whirlwind day, what with orientation and the bus tour. I learned I got three out of the four classes I requested, they are as follows:

Catholics and Politics in England, c. 1558-1603
Medieval Europe, 711-1215
Earth Surface Processes and Landforms

That last technical sounding one is a geology class I'm taking for fun to keep my geology skills sharp (for those who don't know, I'm minoring in geology). Sadly, "Fairy Tales in the Modern World" was full, so I must find another class to take. I'll post that once I figure it out.

The bus tour was good fun, though there was definitely whiplash from trying to catch everything the tour guide pointed out. We did stop at Tower Bridge and Buckingham Palace for photos, which was nice, and I got some good shots when the bus was stopped at traffic lights. Some of them will be posted over the next few days as I have time, the rest will be possibly be uploaded to Facebook, and a link provided here for your perusal if you have any interest. I have to sort through 120 photos and delete the blurry ones that didn't turn out and remember what some of the stops were, so obviously its a work in progress!

I've developed a small niche of American friends over the last few days, two from USC, one from Boston College, and one from University of Florida. Classes don't start till tomorrow (Monday), so there hasn't been much of a chance to meet British students, though I have started chatting up my roommates a bit. My American circle has made a couple of forays away from campus to find grocery and convenience stores to try and buy things we couldn't fit on the plane (food and hangers being the most sought after items). We apparently walked past the first mart we tried to find and ended up going to a place called Nissau I believe; tonight we went to Tesco Express, which was quite a good distance, twenty or thirty minutes down the road, though we did break up the walk with dinner at a Chinese restaurant, which was also quite good. Tomorrow we go to Argos to buy new pillows and other fluffy goods!

Alrighty, that does it for now. Check back soon for photos from my bus trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment